An 0-4-2 T Steam Loco from the 1950s
14XX Class 0-4-2T No.1436 presents a grand sight standing on Southall MPD in June 1957. Photo: L.C.Jacks
No.1436 was built at Swindon in 1934 and withdrawn 31-10-1958.
It was cut up at Morkot Ltd., Caerphilly 30-4-1959
Built 1926, Designed by Charles B. Collett.
Total Number Built 75 – Total to BR 75.
Introduced 1932. Collet design for light branch work (designated class 4800 until 1946). Classification 1P.
Fitted with push-pull control apparatus for Auto-Train working.
These locos were identical to the 5800 Class, except that they were not push and pull fitted.
These nippy little engines with their auto coach were a familiar sight on many Great Western branch lines. The Hemyock branch was the home of a 1400 Class for many years. It left the main line at Tiverton Junction with two intermediate halts at Uffculme and Culmstock. Other branch lines worked by these locos included Wallingford to Cholsey & Moulsford.
In later BR days, some of the class were painted in fully lined out passenger green livery.