Category Archives: Some Early Lines

More from Neil Clarke’s Collection – A few pics from the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, Cornwall.

More from Neil Clarke’s Collection

A few pics from the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, Cornwall.

Bodmin & Wenford Steam Railway. Double Header Steaming Through Cardinham. 6435 doubleheaded with 4247 – Barry Bateman.

Steam hauled passenger services ended on the line in 1963. Rationalisation started in June 1964 when a shuttle service was introduced between Bodmin North and Boscarne Junction, where new exchange facilities were established. Withdrawal of all passenger services between Padstow and Bodmin Road took place on 30 January 1967.

Bodmin Railway Bodmin Railway

Freight trains continued to run between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge until September 1978. The line to Wenfordbridge remained open for china clay traffic until 03 October 1983, when complete closure of the route took place.

Efforts to preserve the branch line, with a view to reopening it as a heritage steam railway, began shortly after closure. The Bodmin Railway Preservation Society (BRPS) was thus formed in July 1984. In a bid to raise the £139,600 needed to purchase the line from Bodmin Parkway to Boscarne Junction, via Bodmin General, the Bodmin & Wenford Railway plc was formed by the Society. The Company successfully purchased the track, and North Cornwall District Council (now part of Cornwall Council) secured the land, from British Rail.

The first Open Day was held on Sunday 1 June 1986, when a small steam locomotive – former Devonport Dockyard 0-4-0ST No 19 – performed shunting demonstrations at Bodmin General Station. These were the first authorised train movements in the preservation era, and thus the Bodmin & Wenford Railway is proud to celebrate its 25th anniversary in 2011.

The necessary Light Railway Order was obtained on 31 August 1989. Regular services between Bodmin Parkway and Bodmin General were restored on 17 June 1990, and the line was extended back to Boscarne Junction six years later, on 15 August 1996.

Bodmin Railway

Since then the Bodmin & Wenford Railway has operated trains – principally steam, but with some heritage diesel services – over the 6½ miles between Bodmin Parkway and Boscarne Junction via Bodmin General.

The railway has now firmly established itself as one of the country’s finest steam railways, Cornwall’s only full size (standard gauge) railway still regularly operated by steam locomotives………and a great family attracktion!

http://www.bodminrailway.co.uk/

These photos were taken around 2000

 

 

More photos from the old Railway Magazine

More photos from the old

Railway Magazine

cover

Save

Old Publication Comes to Light

Old Publication Comes to Light

1959 Railway Magazine

cover

An old magazine has come into our possession, found by David Bathurst, it cost two shillings and sixpence in the ‘old days’, 12.5p in modern parlance!

 

Railway Preservation in the 1980s and 90s

Railway Preservation in the 1980s and 90s

More photos from 1993

avon-valley-bitton

Christmas has come early for the Avon Valley Railway at Bitton – with the news that Drummond Class M7 0-4-4T No.30053 will be their seasonal cracker of an attraction this holiday (1993).

The ex-LSWR Tank, a Victorian gentleman who has spent two decades in the USA, will be the first ex-main line loco to run on the former Mangotsfield to Bath branch since the line closed in 1972.

Built at Christmas 1905, the loco spent its working life in the Bournemouth area but fortunately, when scrapped in 1964, was purchased as a static American exhibit in Vermont.

It boarded a freighter back to Britain six years ago where it was restored at the ex-GWR workshops at Swindon.

Based at the Swanage Railway, it will be moved by road to Bitton during mid-November for a two month stay.

goodrington

4920 ‘Dumbleton Hall’ climbing away from Goodrington Station with an afternoon working from Paignton to Kingswear Sunday 19 September, 1993.  All trains were very well filled, and the Luncheon service fully booked.  (Photo: John Gosling.

gwr

Freight action at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway – Ivatt No.46521 delights the paparazzi shunting at Toddington at the photographers’ special.  (Photo: Steve Standbridge.

llangollen

A timeless study as ex GWR Manor Class 4-6-0 ‘Foxcote Manor’ climbs away from Berwyn on the Llangollen Railway, completely dwarfed by the forests of conifers that surround it.  ( Photo: John Fairclough

ropley-dh

Unusual coupling of newly restored Standard Class5 No.73096 to Bulleid Light Pacific West Country Class 34105 ‘Swanage’ at Ropley on October 1st 1993.  This is probably the first incident of the pairing of two locomotives of these classes in railway preservation history.  (Photo: Mervyn Turvey.

t9

Guaranteed to return to all of its glory but maybe not in this livery, the T9 stands at Swanage in 1992.  Work will commence as soon as it is possible to move the locomotive to the new engineering workshops in a nearby industrial estate.  (Photo: Martin Turvey.

tanfield

Tanfield Triumphant.  Masquerading as scrapped sister No.20 on Hobson Bank, Austerity 0-6-0ST ‘Gamma’ (ex Vane Tempest Colliery, Seaham) hammers up the 1 in 40 incline into Andrewshouse Station and upwards to Sunnyside with a lengthy rake of coal hoppers and waggons in tow and Museum Engineer Ian Cowen at the regulator on Saturday 23 October 1993.

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – More LNER

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies

More LNER

The Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway

bowling-station-older-station

Bowling Station:  west-dunbarton.gov.uk/

The Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway (C&DJR) was a Scottish railway opened in 1850 between Bowling and Balloch via Dumbarton. The company had intended to build to Glasgow but it could not raise the money.

Other railways later reached Dumbarton, and the C&DJR was taken over by the larger Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway in 1862. It later became simply a branch of the larger North British Railway network.

When the rival Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway proposed a line to Balloch running close nearby, agreement was reached to make part of the former C&DJR line jointly owned, and this was done in 1896, forming the Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Railway.

Most of the original C&DJR line continues in use at the present day.

Important note: the spelling Dumbartonshire was consistently used in official documentation in the nineteenth century, notwithstanding the later use of Dunbartonshire for the county.

London Midland & Scottish and London & North Eastern Railway poster promoting Scotland for holidays. Showing a couple enjoying the view of the lough with a boat in the background. c 1940s. Artwork by Patrick James MacIntosh.

London Midland & Scottish and London & North Eastern Railway poster promoting Scotland for holidays. Showing a couple enjoying the view of the lough with a boat in the background. c 1940s. Artwork by Patrick James MacIntosh.

Locally promoted, and authorised on 26 June 1846, capital was hard to find until a lease was taken by a steamer company.  The line ran between Glasgow and Bowling, opening from Dumbarton on 15 june1850 and being the means by which many saw Loch Lomond for the first time.  Both Caledonian Railway and Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway had routes to Dumbarton – this was the E&GR one, but before that it had combined with the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway to form the Dumbartonshire Railways.

Colchester, Stour Valley, Sudbury & Halstead Railway.

leaving-marks-tey

A locomotive leaves Marks Tey station at the end of August, 1956. Picture: Amberley Publishing

Colchester, Stour Valley, Sudbury & Halstead Railway.

This 34¾ mile line linked Colchester and Cambridge, though authority (26 June 1846) was given only to the Marks Tey – Sudbury section at first, including the 335 yard Chappel viaduct.

chappel-viaduct-chapel-org

Chappel Viaduct  (chappel.org

Extension to Lavenham, Long Melford and Clare, with a branch from Lavenham to Bury St. Edmunds, was sanctioned on 8 June 1847 – the Act also authorised the Ipswich and Bury St. Edmunds railway to lease it. When the Eastern Union Railway amalgamated with the Ipswich & Bury St. Edmunds Railway, it repudiated the lease, but, later, reluctantly, honoured it after all.  Formal opening of the line to Sudbury was on 2 July 1849, and on to Haverhill in August 1865, where it joined the Cambridge – Haverhill section, open on 1 June.  The Company amalgamated with the Great Eastern Railway by an Act of 1 July 1898.  The East Anglian Railway Museum is established in the goods yards at Chappel & Wakes Colne.

chappel-station

Chappel Station, once belonging to the Colchester, Stour Valley, Sudbury & Halstead Railway, is now the headquarters of the East Anglian Railway Museum.  Near the doors of the GER goods shed stands a newly restored GE four-wheeled carriage.  (C.Awdrey

 

Deerness Valley Railway

west_durham_rail_tour_1958-ushaw-moor-stn

 Ushaw Moor Station 

http://ushawmoor.awardspace.info/history/West_Durham_Rail_Tour_1958.htm

The Deerness Valley Railway was an 8-mile long single track branch railway line that ran along the valley of the River Deerness in County Durham, England. Built by the North Eastern Railway, it ran from Deerness Valley Junction, on the Durham to Bishop Auckland line, to the coal mines along the valley via two intermediate stations, Waterhouses, and Ushaw Moor

ushaw-moor-viaduct

The Deerness Valley Railway’s tortuous link with the Stockton & Darlington Railway at Crook included this timber viaduct at Ushaw Moor.  (K.L.Taylor

Save

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s

Some more of my favourite photos from a few years ago.7298-berwyn

Former London, Midland & Scottish Fowler 0-6-0 tank No.7298 putting up a show as it blasts away from Berwyn on the Llangollen Railway.  Photo: John Fairclough.

duchess

Pulling power of steam.  Steam on the main line still creates quite a sensation – look at the crowds admiring Coronation Class No.46229 ‘Duchess of Hamilton’ pulling away from Llandudno Junction bound for Holyhead.  Photo:  Gwyn Roberts.

  ng-double-header

Freight session ends the season.

Visiting Orenstein & Koppel No.11 ‘PC Allen double heads with resident Jung No.7 ‘Justine’ on a short goods train at the North Gloucestershire Narrow Gauge Railway in Toddington.  Photo:  Steve Standbridge.

sd-on-east-lancs

With the autumnal gloom descending fast. Ex Somerset & Dorset Railway 2-8-0 No.5309 hustles its train over Brooksbottom Viaduct in search of Ramsbottom on the East Lancashire Railway’s 4.00pm service.  Photo: John Fairclough.

Save

Save

Save

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s

A few more photos from 1993.

blue-peter

60132 ‘Blue Peter’ on the 14.00 dep. Approaching Kinneil Station during the Bo’ness Gala.  Picture – Robin Stewart-Smith.

king-edward-1

julie-ropers-pic

Julie Roper’s award winning photo from 1993.  Taken at 8.45 am on a freezing January morning at Burrs on the East Lancashire Railway.

snowdon

Most preserved railways use the closed winter season for the type of permanent-way works which would have interfered with passenger services during the summer months – but few could give their trackmen this type of view with every shovel-full!  Here we see Hunslet Diesel Hydraulic ‘Ninian’ in charge of a works train near the summit of the only rack and pinion public railway in Britain – The Snowdon Mountain Railway – which starts at Llanberis, North Wales.    Photo Gerald Webster.

Save

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – A couple of old LNER lines

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Berwickshire Railway, Bishop’s Stortford,Dunmow & Braintree Railway

A couple of old LNER lines

Berwickshire Railway.

Incorporated on 17 July 1862, the line provided a cross-country route from the Duns branch of the North British Railway to the Tweed Valley at St. Boswells.  The first sod was cut by Lady Campbell at Easton Park on 14 October 1862, though the line opened to Earlston on 16 November 1863, construction of the Leaderfoot viaduct delayed things.  St. Boswells was reached on 2 October 1865.  The company amalgamated with the NBR under an Act of 13 July 1876, with effect from 1 August. Floods on 12 August 1948 caused so much damage to the line that it closed to passengers between Duns and Earlston immediately.

The Duns Branch and the Berwickshire Railway together formed a through railway route from Reston, near Berwick-upon-Tweed, to St Boswells in the Scottish Borders. The line was promoted in two stages. The first was from Reston on the Edinburgh to Berwick main line to Duns (then spelt Dunse, and the county town of Berwickshire); it opened by the North British Railway in 1849.

The second section was promoted independently by the Berwickshire Railway Company, but with considerable assistance from the North British Railway. It opened most of its line in 1863, but delay in constructing a large viaduct, Leaderfoot Viaduct, led to the opening of the final section of the line being delayed until 1865.

leaderfoot-viaduct

The Berwickshire Railway’s superb viaduct across the Tweed at Leaderfoot 19-4-1988

The North British Railway had conceived the line as a strategic trunk route across southern Scotland, but this development was never realised, and the line was never heavily used.

MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

Earlston station in around 1905. Image © copyright Graham and Emma Maxwell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License

During the violent rainstorm in the area in August 1948 the line was breached west of Earlston, and the passenger train service ceased permanently. Duns reverted to being a branch line terminus from Reston until that too was closed to passengers in 1951.

Bishop’s Stortford, Dunmore & Braintree Railway

Incorporated on 22 July 1861 to build an 18 mile link between Bishop’s Stortford and an end-on junction with the Maldon, Witham & Braintree Railway at Braintree, it ran into trouble long before completion.  The Great Eastern had already acquired transfer powers (21 July 1863) and the company was vested by an Act of 29 July 1865, becoming part of its system on opening day, 22 February 1869.  The line was closed, apart from some seaside excursions, with effect from 3 March 1952, but the line was used in June 1960 to test BRs prototype ‘Road-Railer’.

594px-dunmow_railway_station

Dunmow Station – By Steven Duhig from Bowie, Maryland, USA – MWB16Uploaded by scillystuff, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7437021

The line was originally one of several schemes promoted in the 19th century, which included north-south routes connecting Great Dunmow with Epping, Halstead and/or Saffron Walden. The route of the built line was proposed by the Eastern Counties Railway in 1859, the line from Bishop’s Stortford, Dunmow and Braintree was eventually built by Great Eastern Railway who had since absorbed ECR. Construction started in 1864 and the route opened on 22 February 1869. The line initially served Takeley, Felstead and Rayne with Easton Lodge being added in 1894, Hockerill in 1910, and finally Stane Street and Bannister Green in 1922.

takeley-station

Takeley Station, on the Bishop’s Stortford, Dunmow & Braintree line, has seen no passengers since 1952, but remains in good condition. (1990). (C.Awdrey

A quick visit to Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway

A quick visit to Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway

A visit to the Kingswear Station on the Paignton & Dartmouth Railway

A visit to the Kingswear Station on the Paignton & Dartmouth Railway