Steam Locos – some photos from 1972, inc. Chasewater

Steam Locos

Some photos from 1972 – inc Chasewater Railway

 

More steam loco photos 1966/7

More steam loco photos 1966/7

Found in various places

Bottom left, a nice shot showing the Chasewater Railway horse-drawn dray at the RPS, Hednesford.

More from Neil Clarke’s Collection – A few pics from the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, Cornwall.

More from Neil Clarke’s Collection

A few pics from the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, Cornwall.

Bodmin & Wenford Steam Railway. Double Header Steaming Through Cardinham. 6435 doubleheaded with 4247 – Barry Bateman.

Steam hauled passenger services ended on the line in 1963. Rationalisation started in June 1964 when a shuttle service was introduced between Bodmin North and Boscarne Junction, where new exchange facilities were established. Withdrawal of all passenger services between Padstow and Bodmin Road took place on 30 January 1967.

Bodmin Railway Bodmin Railway

Freight trains continued to run between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge until September 1978. The line to Wenfordbridge remained open for china clay traffic until 03 October 1983, when complete closure of the route took place.

Efforts to preserve the branch line, with a view to reopening it as a heritage steam railway, began shortly after closure. The Bodmin Railway Preservation Society (BRPS) was thus formed in July 1984. In a bid to raise the £139,600 needed to purchase the line from Bodmin Parkway to Boscarne Junction, via Bodmin General, the Bodmin & Wenford Railway plc was formed by the Society. The Company successfully purchased the track, and North Cornwall District Council (now part of Cornwall Council) secured the land, from British Rail.

The first Open Day was held on Sunday 1 June 1986, when a small steam locomotive – former Devonport Dockyard 0-4-0ST No 19 – performed shunting demonstrations at Bodmin General Station. These were the first authorised train movements in the preservation era, and thus the Bodmin & Wenford Railway is proud to celebrate its 25th anniversary in 2011.

The necessary Light Railway Order was obtained on 31 August 1989. Regular services between Bodmin Parkway and Bodmin General were restored on 17 June 1990, and the line was extended back to Boscarne Junction six years later, on 15 August 1996.

Bodmin Railway

Since then the Bodmin & Wenford Railway has operated trains – principally steam, but with some heritage diesel services – over the 6½ miles between Bodmin Parkway and Boscarne Junction via Bodmin General.

The railway has now firmly established itself as one of the country’s finest steam railways, Cornwall’s only full size (standard gauge) railway still regularly operated by steam locomotives………and a great family attracktion!

http://www.bodminrailway.co.uk/

These photos were taken around 2000

 

 

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s – September 24, 1993

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s

September 24, 1993

A few photographs from this old publication

Click on a photo for a larger version.

The Colorado Railroad Museum – Glen Brewer

 

Bob Richardson and the Founding and evelopment of the Colorado Railroad Museum

Story and photos

© Glen Brewer (except as noted)

 

I first met Bob Richardson in Alamosa, Colorado at the Narrow Gauge Motel and Museum. The year was 1956, and somehow, by begging, pleading, nagging and cajolling, I had talked my parents into stopping there while on a family vacation to Colorado. I was talking to Bob when he interupted and drew us outside to witness the early evening passage of a real, steam powered, narrow gauge, freight train headed west with two engines and a full trainload of pipes destined for the oil and gas fields near Farmington, New Mexico. Two days later, our family rode the Denver & Rio Grande Western’s Silverton Train behind Engine 476. It was all steam, narrow gauge, with vintage wooden cars and gorgeous Colorado scenery. I never got over it.

In 1953, Bob and a partner opened the motel conveniently located across the road from one of the last, still operating, all steam, narrow gauge railroads in America – originally the Denver & Rio Grande’s San Juan extension. The Denver & Rio Grande started out as an all three-foot-gauge railway and became the most extensive narrow gauge railroad in the United States. By the time of my visit, only this remote line from Alamosa to Durango, with branches to Farmington, New Mexico and Silverton, Colorado remained three-foot gauge.

Following World War II, steam locomotives everywhere were being junked at an appalling rate; there were not many left in service by 1956. Colorado’s remaining narrow gauge railroads, however, remained all steam simply because management had no desire to spend any more money on the narrow gauge.

From-time-to-time, Bob reported in his newsletter, “The Narrow Gauge News” (just send six, pre-addressed, stamped, Number 10 envelopes at a time). Most of the news, of course, was sad. Narrow tracks were being torn up, locomotives and cars scrapped and historic buildings, and records were being destroyed. Most dedicated enthusiasts either just took pictures or simply pined and wrung their hands over the tragic loss of some of their favorite things, but not Bob. He not only took many pictures — he collected on a grand scale. He saved papers, photographs, lanterns, uniforms, silverware, rail, switches, mileposts, station signs, locomotives and cars — in short, just about anything that he could.

Early days in Alamosa (photo courtesy CRRM).

 

Bob and his partner in Alamosa built a buff and brown, Rio Grande Southern type station building for the motel office. Inside the building, was a budding little museum, featuring various smaller bits and pieces Bob had collected. Outside were the bigger relics featuring several narrow gauge locomotives, freight cars and, Bob’s first rolling stock acquisition, D&RGW short caboose 0500. Motel room numbers, mounted on each door, were cast brass replicas of locomotive, smokebox, number plates.

The relocated museum building in Alamosa. It has since been moved again– this time to Monte Vista to serve the Rio Grande Scenic Railway as a depot.

 

When another enthusiast asked Bob why he did not save D&RGW 318, an engine slated to be scrapped, Bob replied in exasperation, “Why don’t you save it?” Cornelius Hauck did. A new partnership was born and made it possible to do much more.

Alamosa was not a good location to draw a crowd, and there was some disharmony there. About 1958, most of the growing collection moved to the present 15-acre location in Golden, although a few items, including caboose 0500, had to be left behind in Alamosa. The sale of RGS locomotive Number 42 helped to make it all possible. The new museum opened for business July 1, 1959.

Golden itself is a historic, railroad town. William A. H. Loveland promoted the town to be the major city of Colorado. The town actually was the territorial capital from 1862 until 1867. Both Golden and Denver vied to be the primary supply city to the burgeoning mines in the mountains to the west. The first rails into the area arrived in Denver, but to remain competitive, Loveland built the Colorado Central Railroad, only the fourth railroad to lay track in Colorado, serving Golden but originally bypassing Denver three miles to the north. At Jersey Junction, it connected to the Denver Pacific and the Kansas Pacific. The CC finally built directly into Denver four years later. West of Golden, the CC tracks followed winding Clear Creek at the bottom of a canyon and three-foot gauge was chosen. The goal was to tap the booming gold and silver mining towns of Central City, Blackhawk, Idaho Springs and Georgetown.

Golden is about fifteen miles west of Denver just into Colorado’s abrupt Front Range and along the banks of Clear Creek. The museum is on the southeast slope of North Table Mountain with Clear Creek and the huge Coors brewery below. Coors is still a major customer of the former Colorado Central (later Colorado & Southern and now BNSF).

The original museum building in Golden.

 

The big move made the collection much more accessible to a major population area and the gateway for many visitors to the state. In 1965, the Colorado Railroad Historic Foundation was established. Bob continued as executive director until he retired in 1991. Significant progress has continued since Bob left. The museum staff has grown to about thirteen, and there are many regular, dedicated volunteers.

Bob lived in an old farmhouse on the museum grounds. Near that site, the new Robert W. Richardson Library opened its doors in 1997. This attractive, brick, station-like facility houses and protects the museum’s extensive collection of photographs, books and records. It is a significant source for research, especially regarding, but not limited to, Colorado railroads.

The Robert W. Richardson Library building.

 

A new brick, five-stall roundhouse, complete with dual gauge turntable, enables indoor, year around restoration work. Formally known as the Cornelius W. Hauck Restoration Facility, the building opened in July of 2000. No longer do volunteers have to work outdoors in all kinds of weather and tote their tools to and from the work site.

The Cornelius W. Hauck Restoration Facility.

Inside the roundhouse, DL&G 191 is undergoing cosmetic repairs. The boiler for D&RGW 318 is in the first stall.

 

The original museum building houses offices, exhibits, an extensive gift shop featuring a comprehensive collection of railway books and a large HO scale model railroad in the basement. Outside are a G scale model railroad, and over 100 narrow and standard gauge engines and cars – not including the 40 locomotives and cars belonging to the former Georgetown Loop Railroad’s operator. Many track additions were essential for temporary storage of that equipment. During the time the museum had no operating steam locomotive of its own, the Georgetown Loop’s equipment served the museum well.

Things are beginning to move about on the museum property. A Colorado & Southern rotary snowplow and Union Pacific 0-6-0 Number 4455, isolated for 35 years, nearly out of sight, were moved across an irrigation canal and a road to the museum’s main grounds where they can now be seen close up for the first time. Office car 96 is now near the main museum building where Donald has found it easily accessed and a good setting for meetings.

New sidewalks avoid some of the old snow, slush and mud problems. Picnic tables and park benches invite visitors to make a day of their visit.

The museum collection has broadened in scope over the years, but it is still quite focused on railroads of Colorado. It is widely known as the place to go for Colorado narrow gauge enthusiasts, historians and researchers. By no means are these visitors all Colorado people or even residents the US. Within the US, Illinois, Texas and California visitors arrive frequently, but about 20 to 25 % of the visitors come from other countries with the UK, Australia, Switzerland, Japan, Canada and Germany well represented.

On August 24, 2006, Bob Richardson enjoyed his very first ride on the 0500. This D&RGW caboose was his first rolling stock acquisition for the nascent Narrow Gauge Museum in Alamosa. Photograph courtesy of Rod Jensen.

 

The summer before he died at the age of 96, in February of 2007, Bob Richardson was back in Colorado enjoying a grand tour of his old stomping grounds. Later, he wrote in a letter, “Trip enjoyable and seeing #9 run again after all these years was a real treat. That was the first time had a ride in the 0500, tho spent a couple of nights in it when motel crowded, so took a nap on a bunk while they had a night photo session at Rockwood.” It was fitting that Bob was finally reunited with his old caboose, which is now in charter service on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge.

 

Save

Save

Coming soon to Chasewater Railway – for train and beer fans!

Coming soon to Chasewater Railway 

for train and beer fans!

Next Trains – Diesel Sat 24th June / Steam Sunday 25th June

Next event – July 9th Burton Breweries Locomotives Day 2017

Save

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s – October 1, 1993

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s

October 1, 1993

A few photographs from this old publication

Click on a photo for a larger version.

One coming soon for the bus fans

One coming soon for the bus fans

Coming soon at the Aldridge Transport Museum

 

More from Neil Clarke’s Collection – (Formerly) Ayrshire Railway, Dalmellington.

More from Neil Clarke’s Collection

(Formerly) Ayrshire Railway, Dalmellington.

The Scottish Industrial Railway Centre

Our aim is to preserve and operate those small and versatile industrial steam and diesel locomotives – known to generations of Scots as ‘Pugs’ –  in a similar environment to the one in which they spent their working lives.

Visitors can see our collection of steam and diesel locomotives (including our unique working ‘Fireless’ locomotive built by local firm Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd. of Kilmarnock) with strong connections to Scottish industry of the past. The Fireless steam locomotive has now been restored to full working order, and was demonstrated at Dunaskin for the first time in over ten years in July 2015.

http://www.scottishindustrialrailwaycentre.org.uk/

The following gallery was taken by Neil Clarke sometime around 2000

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s – October 8, 1993 Part 2

Railway Preservation in the 1980s & 90s

October 8, 1993, Part 2

Another batch of photographs from the same publication.

Click on a photo to see a larger version.