More of Neil Clarke’s photos
Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway
These first few photos were taken round about 2000
Click on a pic to see a larger version
The Railway in 2017
ABOUT THE TRAINS
Built by W. G. Bagnall Ltd in 1945 (Works No.2777).
Acquired from NCB Comrie Colliery Fife. This locomotive may have been built/assembled for Bagnall by Andrew Barclay in Kilmarnock. It returned to traffic after a major overhaul in the livery applied when originally supplied to the MOD.
This locomotive is currently in traffic and performing very well, it is one of the locomotives most likely to haul your train when you visit.
NCB No. 19
Built by Hunslet Engine Co Leeds in 1954 (Works No.3818).
Acquired from NCB Comrie Colliery Fife, this locomotive has currently just completed a major overhaul.
Currently in traffic and performing very well, the locomotive has now been fitted with a lempor type exhaust which has dramatically improved its steaming ability.
No.1 was built by Neilson Reid of Glasgow in 1899 with works number NR 5710. It then became Coltness no.1 and worked internal works traffic as well as the Coltness Iron Company’s traffic. Then no.1 was transferred to the National Coal Board Scottish Division (NCB) as part of the Scottish coal industry nationalisation settlement. It was based at Twechar, near Kilsyth, and worked at Bedlay Colliery. It was withdrawn in 1968 and in September 1968 the locomotive was presented by the NCB to the SRPS. The locomotive is registered as a “Thomas” and is a powerful locomotive well able to deal with most of the loads required on the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway and is presently under restoration but will return to traffic in 2017.
Built by the LNER at Darlington Works in 1928 and designed by Nigel Gresley. Now in the ownership of National Museums Scotland who in 1974 agreed to loan it to the SRPS with the aim of returning it to steam. Morayshire has been in and out of service since then due to restoration undertaken by our volunteers and is presently at Llangollen Railway for a full overhaul.
Caledonian Railway No. 419 (55189)
Built by the Caledonian Railway at St Rollox Works, Glasgow, in 1907 No 419 was designed by J.F. Mcintosh for branch line work, fast suburban and banking duties.
Caledonian Railway 419 is the flagship of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society. It appears on the society’s letter heading and has represented the SRPS at numerous events on both sides of the border and is presently undergoing a full overhaul.
It is planned to have the locomotive back in traffic in the third quarter of 2017.
Further details, photographs and news of the steam locomotive fleet as well as those in restoration can be found on the SRPS Steam Locomotive Group Website.
ABOUT THE STATIONS
The traditional Booking Office is located in the former Wormit station building. This building, which was relocated from the south end of the Tay Bridge, also contains ladies and gents toilets. The adjacent modern building houses the Station Buffet, gift shop, VisitScotland Information Centre, and toilets suitable for disabled visitors.
Whatever the time of day you will find homemade, locally-sourced produce in our Station Buffet at Bo’ness Station. From traditional Scottish dishes, made using our chef’s special recipes, to a pot of Fairtrade tea and a cake, there is something for every appetite.
Please note our Station Buffet is only open when trains are running, that is yellow, orange and green timetables and on special events.
The gift shop is always a popular part of any visit. It stocks books, DVDs and memorabilia for the enthusiast, as well as Thomas the Tank Engine merchandise and other toys.
Please note our Gift Shop is only open when trains are running, that is yellow, orange and green timetables and on special events.
VisitScotland Information Centre
Bo’ness VisitScotland Information Centre is located in the station and provides information about accommodation and attractions locally and throughout Scotland.
The Gauge ‘O’ Model Railway is housed in two Norwegian carriages next to the station and picnic area. Glenauchter, based on Gleneagles station, has been built and is operated by the Gauge ‘O’ Guild. It is open on weekends and bank holidays only.
Be sure to visit our Museum of Scottish Railways. Three large halls of historic locomotives, carriages and wagons as well as a railway themed activity area for children.