Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Anstruther & St. Andrews Railway
This 15½-mile line was authorised on 26 August 1880, a further Act of 16 July 1883 sanctioning an extension to the North British Railway’s St. Andrews branch. The line opened between Anstruther and Boarhills (9 miles) on 1 September 1883, the rest opening on 1 June 1887. The Company was absorbed by the North British Railway under an Act dated 15 July 1887.
This solid stone bridge was built around 1883 by the Anstruther to St Andrews Railway Company and in those days carried a busy country lane across the rail tracks. The railway (later part of the LNER network) was closed to all traffic in 1965 and now the structure pictured carries a virtually unused farm track across a seldom-travelled right-of-way
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved] © Copyright James Allan and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Fife Coast Railway.
Three different companies were involved in building a railway round the Fife coast of Scotland. The Leven Railway opened the section from Thornton to Leven in 1854. Since John Haig, proprietor of Haig’s whisky, was also chairman of the railway company, an extra station was constructed at Cameron Bridge to serve his distillery. The line was worked by the Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee Railway. The East of Fife Railway built a line from Leven to Anstruther opening in 1857. Finally the Anstruther and The St. Andrews Railway completed the line to St Andrews in 1887. Apart from the termini at Thornton and St. Andrews fourteen other stations were constructed. The first two companies amalgamated in 1861 to become the Leven and East of Fife Railway.  A further amalgamation with the North British Railway occurred 1877. The Anstruther and St Andrews Railway remained independent till 1897 before becoming part of NBR .In 1923 following the grouping it became part of LNER then, following nationalisation in 1947, was taken over by British Railways.
What, no railway?
The parapet of what, in pre-Beeching times, was a bridge over the Leven to St Andrews railway. Still decipherable is the legend “BRB EFL 47” which probably stands for “British Railways Board, East Fife Line” and 47 would be the number of the bridge. But the fields in the background now show no trace of there ever having been a railway track or cutting here. Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved] © Copyright James Allan and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.