Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Aboyne Railway Station – Layout topics – RMweb
A look through Aboyne towards Braemar showing the signal box and both platforms visible
Aboyne & Braemar Railway
This line was sponsored by the Deeside Railway, authorised on 5 July 1865 and running from Aboyne to Ballater. It opened on 17 October 1866. In 1868 a Col Farquharson agreed to extend it to Bridge of Gairn to carry timber from his estate, but after the railway had been laid, Queen Victoria bought the forest, and the line was removed. The road using part of the route is still known as ‘The Track of the Old Line’. The Company was absorbed by the Great North of Scotland Railway on 31 January 1876, under a retrospective Act of 13 July. On 2 May 1904, a motor omnibus service was introduced between Ballater and Braemar.
Alford Valley Railway
Alford Valley Railway Museum, former station at Alford.
View NE, towards Kintore: it had been the terminus of the ex-GNSR branch from Kintore, closed to passengers 2/1/50, to goods 3/1/66. Since 1980 it has featured a 2 ft. gauge miniature railway, running 0.84 mile to Haughton Park.
Date 28 June 2002 Source From geograph.org.uk
Author Ben Brooksbank Permission (Reusing this file)
Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0
A railway scheme was authorised along the valley between Kintore and Alford, north west of Aberdeen, in 1846 but collapsed due to a lack of funds. The idea was revived and a 16½ line re-incorporated on 23 June 1856. The Great North of Scotland Railway subscribed £15,000, leased the line before completion and worked it from opening on 21 March 1859 (public), 30 July (official). The Company was consolidated with the Great North of Scotland Railway on 1 August 1866 under an Act of two days before – the line closed for passengers on 2 January 1950.
The Deeside Railway
Cults Railway Station was the first main station on the Deeside Line between Aberdeen and Ballater. The line between Aberdeen and Banchory was opened in 1853 and extended to Aboyne and later to Ballater by 1866. The double line, as seen here, was opened in 1884 and returned to single line in 1951. The Deeside Line closed to passenger traffic on 28 February 1966. Goods traffic continued for a few more months but the final train ran on the line on 30 December 1966. http://mcjazz.f2s.com
The powers of the Act obtained in 1846 expired after six years. In 1852 a new Act was obtained for a railway to Banchory, the part from Banchory to Aboyne being abandoned. The railway to Banchory was opened September 7, 1853. However, on June 30, 1862, an Act was got by which the Deeside Railway was extended to Aboyne, and in 1865 another Act was obtained for extending the railway to Braemar. Queen Victoria did not favour this extension, and by purchasing land through which the railway was to pass she prevented it from being made. In 1866 the Deeside Railway was made over on a perpetual lease to the Great North of Scotland Railway Company.