Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Turriff Railway Station c1900 (Gammie). http://www.webhistorian.co.uk
Aberdeen & Turriff Railway
This was the new title, taken on 19 April 1859, of what had been incorporated as the Banff, Mcduff & Turriff Junction Railway. Its line opened to Gellymill, a farm 1 mile south of Mcduff, on 4 June 1860. The Company was consolidated into the Great North of Scotland Railway by an Act of 30 July, with effect from 1 August.
The Banff, Macduff and Turriff Junction Railway connected the Aberdeenshire town of Turriff with the Great North of Scotland Railway’s (GNSR) main line at Inveramsay. A separate company, the Banff, Macduff and Turriff Extension Railway, built extension to a station called Banff and Macduff. The junction railway, together with the junction station at Inveramsay, opened on 5 September 1857 and the extension opened on 4 June 1860. Both railways were absorbed by the Great North of Scotland Railway on 1 August 1866, and the line was extended 1⁄2-mile (0.80 km) to a new Macduff station in 1872.
Following the grouping in 1923, the line became part of London and North Eastern Railway and was nationalised, becoming part of British Railways. The Macduff branch closed to passengers on 1 October 1951, completely to the north of Turiff on 1 August 1961 and the remaining line on 3 January 1966.
Macduff station, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Photographed prior to WW 2
Original date circa 1900 Author Unknown (scanned from a postcard by Mike Cooper)
Licensing w:en:Creative Commons attribution share alike This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
Aberlady, Gullane & North Berwick Railway
Incorporated on 24 August 1893, this line was intended to foster North Berwick as a holiday and golfing resort, but in the event got no further than Gullane (4¾ miles), a railway-owned mini-bus covering the last miles. Opened on 1 April 1898, it was taken over by the North British Railway by an Act of 6 August 1900. It was connected to the Main Line at Longniddry.