Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
More around Blackburn
British Railways Brush Type 4 Co-Co class 47/4 diesel-electric locomotive number 47540 of Crewe DTMD passes through Blackburn station on the Down Main line with the diverted 13:50 London Euston to Glasgow Central (1S75) while British Railways 0-6-0 class 08 diesel-electric locomotive number 08297 of Springs Branch TMD stands in the East Lancs Sidings. Sunday 3rd April 1983
3 April 1983, 00:00 Uploaded by oxyman David Ingham from Bury, Lancashire, England
Licensing w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
Disused Stations: Accrington Station
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk598 × 377Search by image
Looking east along the Preston platform at Accrington station in 1954. A train probably bound for Preston can be seen arriving from the Burnley direction.
Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington & Colne Extension Railway
Incorporated on 30 June 1845, the Company was absorbed by the East Lancashire Railway three weeks later, with effect from 21 July. The line’s first section, opened between Blackburn and Accrington on 19 June 1848, included Aspen Viaduct, a timber trestle which has since been buried by tipping, an embankment now standing where the viaduct did. Later openings were to Burnley (18 September 1848) and Colne (1 February 1849).
Aspen Valley Viaduct, Church, Accrington | Flickr – Photo Sharing!
http://www.flickr.com640 × 407Search by image
Aspen Valley Viaduct, Church, Accrington – Robert Wade
Blackburn, Clitheroe & North Western Junction Railway
The Company was authorised on 27 July 186 to build along the Ribble Valley to join the proposed North Western Railway at Long Preston. The line was built by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway; the first sod was cut by Lord Ribblesdale at Clitheroe on 30 December 1846, and opened on 22 June 1850. The Company had previously amalgamated with the Blackburn, Darwen & Bolton Railway on 9 July 184 to form the Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe & West Yorkshire Railway.
To Church Wharf – a stroll along the Croal
http://www.croal.webeden.co.uk464 × 310Search by image
The Bolton to Blackburn railway crosses the Croal valley immediately downstream of Church Wharf.
Blackburn, Darwen & Bolton Railway
Authorised on 30 June 1845, the line was to form a more direct outlet north from Blackburn and Manchester via the Blackburn, Clitheroe & North Western Junction. The five-mile Blackburn – Sough (Darwen) section included a 2,015 yard tunnel, and Tongue Viaduct, which collapsed. Before the line opened (Blackburn – Sough 3 August 1847, throughout 12 June 1848), the Company amalgamated with the Blackburn, Clitheroe and North Western Junction Railway on 9 June 1847 to form the Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe & West Yorkshire Railway.