Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
This was the title taken by the Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe & W. Yorkshire Railway from 24 July 1851, ratifying one used locally for some time. In 1856 the Company alarmed the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and the East Lancashire Railway by proposing an extension to Long Preston; whose companies hurried to take over, Jointly, from 31 December1857 (Act of 12 July 1858). It then became sole L&YR property when that company absorbed the ELR, and the extension opened from Chatburn to Gisburn on 2 June 1879, and to Hellifield on 1 June 1880.
Author Geoffrey Skelsey This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.
Blackburn & Preston Railway
This line was authorised on 6 June 1844 to build from Blackburn to Farington Junction, south of Preston, there to join the North Union Railway. The line included a notable viaduct across Hoghton Bottom, River Darwen, 108 feet high, on three 65 foot spans. Two months after opening (3 August 1846) the Company was absorbed by the East Lancashire Railway.
View NE, towards Burnley and Hellifield. Major ex-L&Y station, served by lines from Manchester and Bolton, also Wigan via Chorley, to Hellifield, and to Burnley and Colne (via Accrington or via Padiham). The Padiham Loop had been closed to passengers 12/57 (goods 2/11/64), from Chorley 4/1/60 (goods 25/1/65). The Ribble Valley line to Hellifield was closed to regular services on 10/9/62 (goods 1/9/69), although the route remained until later available for some freight and diverted passenger trains. In 1986 it was acquired by the Ribble Valley Railway and in 5/94 a passenger service began again between Blackburn and Clitheroe, and the intermediate stations have been restored).
Date 8 May 1965
Source From geograph.org.uk Author Ben Brooksbank
Permission (Reusing this file) Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0